High School Teaching Positions (Anticipated) 2017-18 School Year - Baxter Academy
Baxter Academy for Technology and Science is beginning the hiring process for teachers for its 2017-18 school year. We are a public charter school in downtown Portland, Maine, that opened September 2013. Currently we have over 340 students in grades 9-12. Next school year our total enrollment will be 400. We are a project-based learning STEM environment led by student inquiry and focused on a cross-disciplinary approach. You can find more information on our school and current faculty at our website: baxter-academy.org.
Teachers applying to join us will have demonstrated excellence in teaching and scholarship in her or his field. To apply, please complete the online application application HERE and send a resume or CV with references to email@example.com or Human Resources, Baxter Academy for Technology and Science, 54 York Street, Portland, Maine, 04101. Additional material that highlights teaching, such as a philosophy statement; recommendations from students, parents, or colleagues; or anything that illustrates your passion for education, is highly encouraged. Interviews will begin three weeks from the date of this posting, and only final candidates will be contacted.
Below are the positions we are currently considering for hiring.
- Science Teacher - Baxter is considering applications for an innovative, creative, and adaptive science teacher with interest and experience in inquiry-based, problem-focused, and student-centered Science instruction. While the position will develop with the candidate, immediate needs include chemistry and neuroscience. Certification preferred. Flexibility with varying roles and assignments, plus an ability and eagerness to collaborate with other teachers, will be essential to success.
- Mathematics Teacher- Baxter is considering applications for an innovative, creative, and adaptive math teacher with interest and experience in problem-focused and student-centered Mathematics instruction. A proven ability to teach a variety of concepts and skills ranging from Numeracy through Calculus is preferred. Flexibility with varying roles and assignments, plus an ability and eagerness to collaborate with other teachers, will be essential to success. Certification preferred.
- Humanities Teacher - Baxter is considering applications for an innovative and dynamic humanities teacher who is comfortable collaborating across disciplines. The position requires creative, project-based teaching that fosters student-driven inquiry in a STEM environment. Dual training or certification (English and Social Studies) preferred.
- Special Education Teacher - Baxter is considering applications for a collaborative, experienced Special Education Teacher to innovate within the guidelines of the law and best practice across disciplines. Case management and direct instruction of students are important parts of this teacher’s responsibilities and will report to the Assistant Director of Special Education for the school. Maine State 282 certification required.
- Computer Science Teacher - Baxter is considering applications for an innovative and dynamic Computer science teacher with experience with SCRUM or other agile development methodologies. An ideal candidate will have done both coursework in computer science or a related field and professional experience, as well as experience teaching.
- Engineering Teacher - Baxter is considering applications for an Engineering teacher. An ideal candidate will have done both coursework in engineering and professional experience, as well as experience teaching youth. Solidworks, or other CAD experience is encouraged.
- Fabrication Teacher - Baxter is considering applications for a Fabrication teacher. An ideal candidate will have both professional experience, as well as experience teaching youth. Knowledge of machining, carpentry, welding, CNC fabrication, and composites is desirable.
- Visual & Media Arts Teacher - Baxter Academy is considering applicants for teaching in the Visual and Media Arts. Experience with video, animation, drawing, and photography preferred. The ideal candidate would be an advocate for Design Thinking and a proven collaborator in project development and implementation. Professionalism and a student-centered approach to pedagogy and mentorship a must. Familiarity with national and state standards in the arts highly valued.
Applications for Substitute Teaching Positions, short or long-term, are accepted throughout the school year. As opportunities become available, we will review the applicant pool we have at that time.
Please feel free to contact Tia.firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and an application to apply!
Our needs are subject to change and we welcome applications from people passionate and committed to STEM education whose experience may not fit neatly into any positions listed.
Baxter Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer